The Skyscraper Method stands as a pivotal strategy in the realm of link building. This method involves identifying top-ranking content with significant backlinks, pinpointing its shortcomings, and crafting a superior version of that content.
Origin of the Skyscraper Method Brian Dean, from Backlinko, pioneered the Skyscraper Method. The name draws an analogy from urban landscapes, where the tallest skyscraper often garners the most admiration. Similarly, in the search engine results pages (SERPs), superior content stands out and attracts more attention and backlinks.
Implementing the Skyscraper Method: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Identify leading content in SERPs that aligns with your brand’s keywords.
- Catalog the entities linking to these high-performing contents.
- Create an enhanced version of the content by addressing its weaknesses.
- Approach the entities linked to the original content and propose your improved version.
The efficacy of this approach stems from its targeted nature. By reaching out to entities already interested in similar content, the outreach becomes more focused and likely to resonate.
Success Metrics: An Analysis
Brian Dean reported an 11% success rate from his outreach efforts, resulting in approximately 17 backlinks from 160 emails. In contrast, Dale Cudmore achieved a 6.5% success rate, equating to 15 backlinks from roughly 232 emails. Notably, despite his efforts, Cudmore’s content did not rank for the targeted keywords. Another case study by Olga Mykhoparkina revealed that after 40 hours of effort and around 230 emails, her team received 24 responses but zero backlinks.
These varying results underscore that multiple factors influence the success of the Skyscraper Method. Industry receptiveness, outreach communication quality, and other elements can significantly impact outcomes.
Factors Enhancing Success Rates
- Reputation and Influence: A recognized name in the industry, like Brian Dean, often garners more attention and responses.
- Quality of Content: Superior content stands a better chance of attracting backlinks.
- Targeted Outreach: Instead of relying solely on automated tools, delve into websites to identify the most appropriate contacts for content-related queries.
Essential Tools for the Skyscraper Method
- Semrush: This comprehensive tool aids in backlink analysis and email outreach. Using Semrush, one can:
- Identify top-ranking articles for specific keywords.
- Analyze backlinks using the Backlink Analytics tool.
- Incorporate these backlinks into Semrush’s Link Building Tool.
- Email Templates: Develop multiple templates to test and identify the most effective outreach communication.
- Resilience: Persistence is key. Initial efforts might not yield immediate results, but consistency and refinement over time can lead to success.
The Skyscraper Method, while demanding, offers a targeted approach to link building that can yield substantial results when executed with precision and persistence. Success hinges on the quality of content, targeted outreach, and perseverance. Optimizing every facet of the outreach campaign, from email communication to choosing the suitable entities to approach, is crucial to maximizing potential outcomes.